Michael Welsh: A Vision of Students Today
I think this movie does capture a lot of my college experience. We have a lot going on and a lot more stuff to do and that we want to do than we have time for. Homework and jobs and class take up most of our days, but our social life is very important to us also. Sometimes homework and studying does not get done because we would rather be hanging out with our friends or for a lot of students it doesn’t get done because we have to work to pay the bills just so we can be in college. If we weren’t in college we wouldn’t be having to work so hard to pay our bills plus tuition and books, but our studies do not get as much attention as they should because we are having to use most of that time to work.
The only thing I would add to the video would be more of an emphasis on how much students work. A lot of students work full time and go to school full time. Working full time is 40 hours a week which is roughly 5.7 hours a day.
It’s not About the Technology by Kelly Hines
This post was very interesting. She has a very valid point to make. I think all current and future teachers should read this. It would help them to become better teachers. You do not have to know how to use every new technology to be a good teacher. Those are good ways to supplement the things you teach. But if you do not know how to do something, such as blog for instance, it does not make you a bad teacher. Teachers need to be aware of the new technology surrounding it and be interested in learning new things but they do not need to become experts on everything. I want to be a special education teacher. Most of the students I will have will never be able to do some of the advanced technologies available but technology will keep them alive. We as teachers need to learn about the new things that will benefit our students the most.
Dr. Fisch’s Blog Post
I think Dr. Fisch’s post was interesting. I did not realize how much people do brag about being teachnologically illiterate. In the United States every person has access to a computer whether in their home or in a public place such as a library. And most people in the United States do know how to use a computer but most do not know very much about them.
I do not think it is ok for a teacher to be computer illiterate. I do not think they need to know everything there is to know about a computer but I think they should know the basic operations. There are many new programs available to teachers to help them teach and I think they should be trained to use those if they wish to use them. Not every teacher is going to use mostly media to teach their class. Different teachers teach different ways and they need to be able to do what is most comfortable to them and what can help their students the most.
Gary Hayes Social Media Count
The numbers don’t surprise me. I know how much people use the internet and technology every day. It has become a part of everyone’s daily routines. For my teaching career it means there are so many new things available to help me teach the students and even more will be available by the time I graduate. Students in the future will have so many more opportunities I never could have imagined having.
Ashley, great post! Adding how much students actually work to the first video would be a great addition. I have a busy schedule, more so than most others I know. However, there are still many out there who have an even busier schedule than I do. Having to keep up with work along with school and a personal life is challenging. I also agree with you when you say "We as teachers need to learn about the new things that will benefit our students the most." As long as the student benefits in the end, the type of learning does not matter, technological or not. Again, in Dr. Fisch's post, you comment on how teachers need to do what is comfortable for them so it can help their students more. This is especially important. As long as the students are being helped, the process does not matter. Like you said, students will have many more opportunities than we had. As long as there is a constant strive for learning and excelling in the world, students will get the most out of life. I enjoyed reading and commenting on your post!
ReplyDeleteHey Ashley
ReplyDeleteI see your point about special education students and how they are not able to do some of the technological things that others can do.
I challenge you to find out from some special education teachers out there that may have a twitter or a blog of some kind and see what they do to use technology in the classroom.
When you said:"And most people in the United States do know how to use a computer but most do not know very much about them." I don't know how true that is but I will say that most people with a computer don't know the full potential of all a computer is capable of doing.
Keep blogging Ashley, good post.
Stephen Akins
Blog Assignment #4? You cannot afford to get behind in EDM310!
ReplyDeleteHi, Ashley. All of your points are interesting. The "visions" video is really alarming and it makes all of us think about how challenging it is going to be to teach. The social media count just boggles my mind. The fact that there are so many people doing so many things at one time is fascinating but really what gets me is our ability to keep track. This is something special.
ReplyDelete